Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Real Life

What is life really about? I read a friends blog recently about signs of life. That got me thinking about the signs at our house and in our life.
Signs of life are popcorn spilled on the floor, toys littered on the floor, dirty dishes, and a dryer full of clothes needing to be folded and put away. Life is busy with 3 and most days I feel a bit frazzled. Today however I felt those little things didn't matter. I left the popcorn on the floor, so as a family we could experience real life. We went to deliver the school supplies our church collected to Pharr Elementary. We sat in the principals office with Max bouncing off the walls and Lucas squirming and fussing in my arms. We shared with her why were doing this and just getting to know this lady that had opened her school doors to us. Dolia, the grandmother I mentioned in the previous blog post, met us there with 3 of her grandkids. We were able to present her with the slacks that Jay and Donna (members of our church), so kindly purchased for them. They left with backpacks full of supplies and new uniforms. We bought them school uniform shirts with money people gave. They were so excited!!! Adam gave the family a ride home, so they would not have to walk home with all the stuff. They are living in squalid conditions. Is that a word? It is pretty much a shack. We shared with the grandmother why we were doing this and invited the kids to church. Grandma says they can go if someone comes to pick them up - the kids are looking foward to it. Pray someone will take this responsibility of being their ride to church. We also shared with a family friend that came by as we were there and she in now planning to visit the church.
As I think back on this morning - I think - That's real life. It's not pretty, but it's the life that God called us to live. He calls us to minister to the widows (Dolia is), the Poor (Dolia is and the kids are), the orphans (the kids are). I feel like today we put skin on God's love - as our pastor preached a couple weeks ago. We are thankful for the opportunity we had to be his hands and feet today. I especially love that my kids were a part too. Although, Isabel says"all I did was watch." I pray that watching will turn in to creating in her the truth of what real life is all about. It is not about ourselves, but extending the love of God to others.
When we got home, I swept up the popcorn! Life is crazy, but it is good.